Week 4: Receive Jesus’ Kingdom: REVIVAL and TRANSFORMATION of Marketplace Life
– local workplaces, businesses, shops, schools, social meeting places; and national economy & social systems
By Associate Dean Kara Martin, Melbourne, Victoria
Spheres of Influence: Education – Theological College
Intention: That All People will find Fulfilment in Their Work, Seeing it as Established by God!
Biblical Promise: Isaiah 65:22 (NIV) – “No longer will they build houses and others live in them, or plant and others eat. For as the days of a tree, so will be the days of my people; my chosen ones will long enjoy the work of their hands.”
Receive God’s Promises for Marketplace Life:
Isaiah 65:17-25 gives us a glimpse of the future that God has planned for his people. It introduces the idea that we will work in the new Earth that he will create after Jesus returns. Many of us see work as a curse, and think of heaven as one long holiday; but this verse affirms that work is in fact good, and part of God’s future plan for us.
The verse affirms some characteristics of this kingdom work: that we will enjoy the benefits of our own work. Many now are frustrated, feeling like their work is for the good of others. They do not feel that they receive a fair reward for their work, or feel that others appreciate their work more than they do.
The second affirmation is that we will find our work truly satisfying. At the moment our working is tainted by sin. We struggle with the work itself, which can seem pointless or simply difficult. We also struggle with those we work with, because relationships are broken. We also struggle with the organisations we work for, which are often revealed to be fallible at best, and corrupt at worst.
This verse encourages us to see work, our work relationships and our workplaces through God’s eyes. Rather than waiting until all things are finally put right, we know that we can use Jesus’ power to redeem those areas of our working. God wants to do good work through us; he wants to reconcile broken work relationships; and he wants to reform workplaces.
Pray for REVIVAL and TRANSFORMATION:
• Father God, thank you that work is part of the way you made us, and part of your good plan for us. Help us to see our gifts and skills and work through your eyes.
• Jesus, help us to see how your redeeming work extends to every part of our lives, and every part of the world. Help us to see how we can change our work, your way.
• Fill us with your Spirit, that we might be empowered to work in ways that transform our workplaces.
• We pray for the friends you have put on our hearts for these 40 days – that they will know joy and fulfilment in you, Jesus.
Activate God’s Promises in Marketplace Life:
• Ask God to show you what He can achieve through you and your working.
• Ask for a glimpse of what good work looks like. Start to imagine ways that you can glorify God through your working and the way you care for others at work. Be inspired to do kingdom work.
Kara Martin, BComm, MCom, MA (Chr.Studs)
Associate Dean, Marketplace Institute, Ridley Melbourne:
Bridging the Sunday-Monday Divide.