Week 4: Receive Jesus’ Kingdom: REVIVAL and TRANSFORMATION of Marketplace Life
By Mr Colin Buchanan – Sydney, NSW
Spheres of Influence: Creative Arts & Entertainment
Intention: Creator God Purposefully Leaves His Fingerprints on the Creative Endeavours of His Image-bearers.
Biblical Promise: Colossians 1:15-17 – “The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.”
Receive God’s Promises for Marketplace Life:
“Creator” as a word speaks of the power to bring something to be that wasn’t before. Christians are familiar with the truth that God is Creator. This word holds two aspects – ability and rights. God is able – as divine designer, craftsman, shaper, visionary, artisan, genius. And he owns creation’s intellectual property rights – bees and insulin, dugongs and refraction, granite and motherhood. Because he did it, it’s his. His ability is matched by his authority.
Divine creativity is infinitely yet personally pervasive. This incredible universe isn’t his brilliant-but-fading masterpiece, hanging in the Artist’s absence as centrepiece in some cosmic art gallery. It’s no weathered statue in the park, long-departed from the sculptor’s studio. This Creator is imminent, present – he actually sustains the form and function of his creative endeavours. Not simply the “then” Creator, he’s the “now” Creator, the “I AM”. Because God is unchangingly consistent, divine creativity can be potently purposeful without losing any of its beauty or integrity. Function often compromises human creative endeavours – usefulness often chokes artistic integrity. The human quest for creative freedom and purity has claimed countless casualties, corrupted at its core by the cancer of sin. God’s not like that. His handiwork is declared “Very good.” And in all its complexity and brilliance, it actually points somewhere – to God the Son, the image of the invisible God, firstborn over all creation. It was all made in him and for him. He is the Point of all.
Australia has a rich creative community. Think of the beautiful dribbling first pre-school butcher’s paper painting, the feature film, the university major work, the magnum opus. Physical and digital media, words, sounds, performances – some nobly artistically free, many some constructed with some commercial constraint. They are alerting, prompting, processing, challenging, engaging, enhancing – all springing from one divine Source – our Creator. The gospel – the good news that Creator God graciously and decisively deals with sin through his incarnate, saving, reigning Son, Jesus Christ, thus drawing repentant sinners to himself – changes everything. Creativity sits wonderfully in that “everything.” Billboards and canvases, clay and pixels, stages and manuscript paper can become conscious offerings to the honour of the imminent Creator King, not simply reflected by his image-bearers but conscious acts of wondrous worship by his redeemed, creative children.
Pray for REVIVAL and TRANSFORMATION:
• Creator God, may your gospel capture hearts and lives and imaginations, shifting eternally the dead motivation of sin and self to the glorious, eternal, good Point of All – honour for Jesus. Redeem our nation’s amazing creative community to create as never before – with you, for you.
• Lord God, protect and care for your children who create – from idolatry, from pride, from self-obsession, from loneliness, from the brutality of indifference and criticism, from the perils of success and acclaim, from the deceitfulness of sin.
• Jesus, nurture the rich blessing of creativity in your church; promote deep, thoughtful, biblical discipleship amongst all who create; capture hearts everywhere with the beauty of Jesus, the Great Point of All.
Activate God’s Promises in Marketplace Life:
• Everywhere you look you encounter enriching design, colour, form, layouts, fonts, fabrics, fashions, lustre, rhythm, melody, structure, ambience, performance, plot, lyric, character. Give thankful praise to your Creator God!
• Pray for those who turned ideas into the expressions before you.
Songwriter, recording artist, Christian children’s performer, media vagabond.