Week 2: Receive Jesus’ Kingdom: REVIVAL and TRANSFORMATION of Family Life
By Bishop Peter Elliott, Melbourne, Victoria
Spheres of Influence: Education & Religion – Roman Catholic Church
Intention: We Will Love As Christ Loved.
Biblical Promise: Ephesians 5:22-33 – “Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Saviour. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church — for we are members of his body. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.”
Receive God’s Promises for Family Life: What is the quality of married love revealed in the Word of God? Paul is our guide in his letter to the Ephesians 5:22-33.
There is to be mutual giving way to one another reflecting Christ’s cherishing and nourishing love of his bride the Church. He loves us, his Church, by giving himself up, our only Lord and Saviour, on the cross. Here he is indeed the Bridegroom who nourishes and cherishes the Bride washed clean in the Water and the Blood – and “this is a great mystery” Christ and the Church.
Does The Lord Jesus and his total self-gift shape your love? Is your marriage modelled on his saving work? Christian husband, Christian wife, would you give your life for your beloved? The Bridegroom revealed in the Gospels and proclaimed by Paul did just that. In these times of moral and spiritual challenge The Lord calls you to be living examples of his total self-gift before all people.
Pray for REVIVAL and TRANSFORMATION:
• Pray and fast for a deepening and overflowing love for God.
• Pray for your listed friends that they will be revived from death to new life in Jesus Christ.
• Pray your church will mobilise to pray and partner with God in his REVIVAL of our nation.
• Pray for the grace to live a sexually pure, holy life in a personal relationship with God and pray for a REVIVAL of sexual purity in our nation.
• Pray for an outpouring of Holy Spirit fire to activate us and transform Australia.
Activate God’s Promises in Your Life:
• Let God guide you in your expression of his profound cherishing and nourishing love for those around you.
• Actively honour, encourage and support people you know who are living sacrificially as they care for family members and others.
Bishop Peter Elliott